View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #12
hot rod

I believe there was another thread on the topic that had some comments specifically dealing with your state.

Here in Ohio we have a classification for "heavy duty non-commercial" for a truck of any size that is used for, you guessed it, non-commercial uses only. Like pulling your camper. Here that plate is not much more than a pickup truck, and FAR cheaper than a commercial plate. You would be exempt from all dot requirements the same as a pickup. All you have to do here is sign an affadavit at the bmv that it is exclusively for non-commercial use. But DON'T let them catch you doing anything commercial with it after that, they will stomp all over you. If your state has that, really no point in trying to fake it up as an RV. If not you will have to get a little more serious with the conversion to pass muster as an RV. It'll need to look and smell like an RV to pass muster with the inspectors, they are all pretty suspicious of something that still looks pretty commercial. I am assuming that you removed the fifth wheel? Some states will now not register anything at all with a fifth wheel as an RV, even a full blown Renegade rig and the like. At our local title bureau they actually had a photo copy of about a 17' full Renegade toterhome conversion posted on the wall with big magic marker "this is not an RV!", but then they don't actually inspect it here anymore, they just make you sign and notarize an affadavit that it has all the required equipment. That is how my race car type trailer with living quarters is now a "travel trailer".
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote