View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #40
#90-GTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Leaving Saturday, Sept. 22, for Grand Marais, MN. Small town on the North shore of Lake Superior. Going to spend a few days camping there. I've been told the campground there is very nice. I like the idea of a "reviews" thread. Escapees has one.
You'll like GM. First went there as kid in 1960's on our way to English River, Ontario to fish. We lived in Shawano (WI). Dad had International Scout with two 10 gallon gas tanks. About 10.3mpg pulling the boat trailer loaded with our stuff. 200 miles from Shawano to Ashland (WI) then 200 miles from Ashland to GM and then another 200 to English River so we stopped both ways in GM on each trip. First and probably only time I saw a gasoline pump that would dispense a gas/oil mix. There were settings I think for 24:1 and 50:1. Standard station downtown, I think on the little harbor.

Then again in the early 70's when I worked for the Isle Royale Seaplane Service we had a DeHavilland Beaver based at the seaplane dock just a few miles from GM. Flew into the SB once in Piper Super Cub on Floats and then flew across Lake Superior to Houghton, MI where we had a Beech 18 and a Dornier DO-28a both on floats.

Take the boat trip out to Isle Royale National Park. It is a very, very interesting place.

Grand Portage Isle Royale

Lots to see on Lake Superior's north shore. Enjoy the trip. Let us know how it goes.

Remember ... like they say on the Garage Journal Forum: If there aren't pictures, it didn't happen!!
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote