Thread: Drive Tires
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Highway OPie

40's Rock:

Since beginning my Peterbilt 379 motorhome conversion three years ago, I have replaced all six tires (I "singled-up" the rear). I wanted high quality tires, as I had a blowout on the the outside right rear at 60 mph after the retread failed and separated from the casing, tearing up my newly installed stainless steel fender.

I was told by several truck tire dealers that steer tires would provide a better ride if installed on the rear, but the mileage would not be as good, and they cost slightly more. I went with standard drive tires, but the dealer recommended ones which would have the lowest road noise.

This spring I replaced both steer tires as the right one developed a serious out-of-round condition and caused excessive vibration when at speed.

My philosophy on tires; its the only only thing between you and the road. I purchased high end tires; I feel confortable and confident they will NEVER leave me on the side of the road.

There are lots of selections out there for truck tires. 22.5 is the most popular size. Don't buy retreads for the drives; don't skimp on quality; buy a name-brand tire; stay away from tires imported from China or Korea.

Hope this helps.
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote