Thread: Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #18
blizzardND

I have started the conversation with a number of my state legislature friends, we talked at length of the need for something between a class C (car) license and a Class A CDL.

Something that could cover everything from Rodeo trailers, race car trailers, over 10,000# travel trailers and all Class A RV's it might also be applicable to seasonal farm trucking. Just a step up written test, covering braking, passing wind conditions, maybe a section on transporting fuel (race gas barrels, RV propane tanks) why its important for those tanks to be turned off and the fuel drums secure type questions.

What to do in case of a break down, the requirement to carry triangles, fire extinguishers etc. Whether or not we are required to go though scale-houses the kind of stuff we all should know, but it so gray everyone seems to have a differing opinion.

It might require in lieu of DOT numbers a RV, Private, Not for hire or Farm logo on the door to let the officer know that the rig falls under the state statute.

As recreational vehicles get bigger and the trucks towing them get more powerful, I think its time to step up and come up with a 15,000# RV/Farm endorsement

At the very least it adds some legitimacy to the hobby racer or Rodeo/Horse show driver, to make them all aware of some of the more obscure safety rules.

It also would educate anyone who uses the vehicle for Commercial use outside the hobby world that may pay a Rodeo purse or a race winning, or perhaps the Food vendor / craftshow trailer type uses. It could be even broad enough to cover landscapers and lawn services who like my neighbor has to have DOT numbers on his 3/4 ton pickup because his lawn mower trailer can carry over 8000#. Why would they need to be CDL? but should they be educated ?

We have to be careful not to get the Camels nose in the legislative tent, but the potential for our 30,000# rigs zooming up and down the freeways with little or no education is really scary if you ask me.

we are a long way from drafting any legislation, and the feds get involved in some of their requirements too. But I know a few Congressman and both of my Senators so maybe down the road...?

-blizz