View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
mike_belben

Default Meandering My Way Into a Project.

first post. pretty much committed to building a shoestring budget toter rather than deal with CDL. more of a haul all work truck that my wife, dogs and baby wont mind being stuck in for days on the road when we uproot and move our machine shop/life from massachusetts to tennessee in 2-3 yrs. im looking to retain a short wheelbase and the minimum comfortable living space, approximately 12' box with over cab bunk and some integrated dog crates, then a stubby hauler bed off the back.

so far ive determined:

-i need a class 8 daycab or removeable sleeper, which would be sold off
-need tandems to get frame length even if i only one run axle.
-no dayton/cast wheels, must be big 10 hub piloted
-no V engines, no cats, inline 6 aftercooled only
-#2 bellhousing preferred, since i have an RTOO9513 (top 3 gears are OD)
-prefer air ride but willing to convert from spring. i can fab.

the stumper, what engine. 6BT, DT466 and L10 too small. 8.3 cummins borderline? detroit S60, cummins 855 variants, M11, ISM, N14?

one kicker, its gonna be running one of my manual WVO setups. (my oil is very clean and dry, lots of experience) so mechanical pumps with simple fuel routing are very favorable. cheap injectors is also a bonus. i take oil samples for the lab and have no problem pulling, cleaning, pop testing/balancing injectors.. i just dont want them to be unobtainable. $7500 max budget and hoping to find a truck thats still got a 100k left before an inframe.

what would you run for a motor?

how many horse and what gears to hold a 50k GCVW to 65mph up grades and touch 80 in the flats?

my RTOO was behind an NTC250 in a '73 autocar with a 55k GVW. its got 12.10 low gear, 7th under is direct and top gear is .62

thanks for your opinions. great site!
mike_belben is offline   Reply With Quote