View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
AKat777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran D. St. Clair View Post
Since you are building from the existing box in, there are lots of similarities between your project and the Stealth Camper I built. Bob86ZZ4 gave you the link to the thread (Thanks Bob). I posted a ton of pictures in the photo gallery. Just look for keyword "Stealth".

I tested R-max foam for crushing and found I could not crush it with 5/8" plywood on top. I did use supports under the seams, but nowhere else. In my case I used 1/2" foam under the floor, 1 1/2" in the walls, and up to 5" to 6" in the ceiling, depending on the arch.

Personally I figure windows are a liability, but many can't imagine living without them.

I have to tell you, just this once. You can probably buy something close to what you want far cheaper than building it. (but building is more fun...) Others will tell you the same. I spent over $40K on my little 14' box truck. The good news is that you will get exactly what you want.

Oil based primer and latex top coat? Sounds like a bad idea to me. I was told you can put oil base over latex, but not the other way around. The latex will not adhere properly and will blister. Assuming you are talking about the outside, I am not sure that any type of house paint is the way to go. Then again, I am no paint expert.

Good luck!
I read the stealth article (good read) but I found the picture gallery to be far more enlightening. As a starting example, I loved the before pics of the stud walls exposed and the wiring conduits running in the walls. If I stud the walls (even with 2X3's) I can go insane with the insulation. (The outside skin is attached to the metal runners, and there is 1 layer of insulation, plus another 3" to go. Talk about R value and soundproofing...lol. I am suprised you put only half an inch on the floor tho. 5 in the roof sounds good, since we all know heat rises and most of your heat loss is in the roof.

Has anyone tried using closed cell spray foam? After you stud the walls in and get the electrical set up, it would completely seal the walls/ceiling. It would also strengthen the walls. Not sure if that's a good thing tho, considering the box may 'twist' on the frame? Has anyone had problems with the walls shifting because of this?

BTW, your van looked *awesome* far better than my project will come out..but how did you manage to spend 40k? I am looking at 500 for a top of the line toilet (the simple things in life sometimes are the most important..lol), 500 for a shower (btw, anyone use a regular shower enclosure instead of a 'rv' model?) 1k for a fridge, 500 midgrade stove. So 2k for appliances (assuming I dont cheap out and use the apartment 4' fridge I have in storage, heh) probably 1500 in insulation, the tanks are a big ? at the moment, and a discussion topic I will post after dinner. (size, location, etc etc). But average 500 a pop is still only another 1500. 1k in lumber, and I am still at 7k. even if my insulation is really low, double it to 3k, and still only at 8k. (btw, I already own a 6500 gen and a 1500 portable, those wont be added into the price). And I dont know how much the electrical system will be. Currently I am planning on running two 50 amp shore cords. One for the 'house' and another for the workshop, since most of my corded tools are 10-15amps each. And the space heater I use to heat the house is a true 15 amp draw, it will have it's own circuit. (Comfort Furnace..worth every penny of the 350 I spent for it) No idea yet what it will cost to repaint the outside. I know what color it will be tho. The dark blue stripe from the Atlas logo is the color I am going with.
AKat777 is offline   Reply With Quote