View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #42
Kenn

Default Minnesota class D license

I know that in Oregon you can drive a motor home over 26,000 pounds with a class C license (class C is the basic lic in Or). With a class C lic you can tow a trailer up to 10,000 pounds, 15,000 if the trailer is a recreational vehicle. An RV in Or has a stove and bed. I just read the Minnesota drivers manual and it states that a driver with a class D lic can operate a motor home over 26,000 pounds if it is for personal use. It also states that a class D Driver can tow a trailer of 10,000 pounds or less and the trailer can weigh more than 10,000 , but the combined gross vehicle weight of the vehicle (motor home) and trailer is 26,000 pounds or less. The three axle motor home and three axle trailer must be rated over 26,000. I saw the 57,000 number in a few news articles. As sad as this accident was, it looks like if the young man driving had a class D lic, he was towing to heavy of a trailer. I have a 10,000 pound trailer and it has two axles and a much smaller main frame. In the articles I read they did not say if any of the 18 people were in the trailer. Does anyone know if they were? Before I started building my motor home I looked at a lot of used conversions that were being offered with stacker trailers. Almost all of the sales people told me that no CDL was required to tow the trailer because it was being towed with a motor home. At race tracks I often ask people with conversions towing large trailers (over 10 K) if they have CDL and they say "I don't need one it is an RV".
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote