View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #31
Dragonslayer140

Gordy, at this time I can not speak to the truck conversions themselves, but have seen how many of the standard RV bodies are assembled, and a lot of them have their walls held together by lag screws and covered by corner trim. Interiors are set in as sub assemblies with the walls going in around them. I have worked as a volunteer firefighter and a heavy duty tow truck operator, and have dealt with the aftermath of several big RV accidents. Now that I work in Engineering and getting ready to swap my class C for a conversion, I am heading back east to tour at least four truck conversion factories in May so I can see first hand how each of them builds. One of the main things I am looking for is how they construct the box, both from a structural and an environmental point of view. I have concerns with both types of construction, FRP/Composite has great insulation and isolates sound well, but its Achilles heel is delamination if water ever gets in to the wall, along with how to connect the corners. Welded steel frames with the proper bracing are very strong, however the steel transfers heat through the wall without a proper thermal break. I am hoping to see that the conversion manufactures have each addressed these issues in their own ways. I would defiantly expect these rigs to be more solidly built than a production line consumer RV. I will be taking lots of notes, and post my comparisons when I get back.

I also agree with you that I would not want my cab mounted solid to the box either, to do so one would either have to lose the air bags under the cab, or find a way to support the entire box on air bags. The places I plan to go with my rig will involve off road, and every class 8 truck I have driven has had a lot of frame twist.
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote