View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Dragonslayer140

I would agree on either FRP/Vacuum formed walls or perhaps wood framed. Looks like the walls were built as components and then assembled onto the truck creating weak points at all the joints as they are only fastened by some screws. I have seen several serious accidents and roll overs of RV's built like this, and they have all pretty much "come apart at the seams". I am not sure that even if the occupants were wearing seat belts the injuries and fatalities would have been any less due to the lack of structure remaining. It is even possible that some survived because they were thrown clear. I am sure that a welded tube steel structure would have survived much better, protected the cab somewhat and improved survival chances for properly restrained occupants. Even then it would still be a heck of a ride down that embankment. That was an awful lot of rig and responsibility for a 17 year old to be driving, you just do not have the experience to deal with even a small problem or error at that age. No matter what happened to cause the accident, my heart goes out to the entire family for their loss and especially to the young man that was driving, just knowing that he was the one behind the wheel when it happened is something that will change every day of his life forever.

The fact that there was two off duty nurses who saw the accident and climbed down into the ravine to render aid probably helped to save more lives also.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote