View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
#90-GTSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay View Post
I read quite a few articles here that talk about stretching the frame. But I have simple question/s:

Obviously, how to stretch a Peterbilt 387 chassis? I mean, where to cut and stretch? Overall length should be 45 feet. Not concerned about wheel base length being long etc, longer the better.

Second, how much does a limo conversation company or any truck conversation company charge me for this stretch? This included chassis stretch, drive shaft, air lines etc. Basically, drive it out of there.
Search Hawk Engineering, they can help you out. I agree with the comments on the limo conversion company. I was involved in my Dad's hearse rental business for a while. The hearse builders also build limos. I've been to two factories ... I don't think the hearse/limo companies are capable of doing a class 8 stretch. Even if they do Hummers, Suburbans, and Excursions ... they aren't like big Pete.

"Not concerned about wheel base length being long etc, longer the better." Be very, very careful with the wheelbase, especially if you're going to 45 feet. Look at the capacity of your front axle. If its only 12,000#, you could exceed that very quickly with a long wheelbase that doesn't have much weight behind the rear axles, especially if you have two huge fuel tanks (like 150 gallons) under the cab doors (as far forward as possible) and have batteries, generator, and water tanks forward. You need to think about weight and balance, just like an air plane to make sure you don't overload your front axle.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote