View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
hot rod

They always advertise those upper bunks to sleep 2, but they are a tight fit. Most are a little bigger than a twin, and a little claustrophobic on the head room. But that is a fact of life on a bunk over the cab. I have seen just a handful advertised with a full queen size up there, and once saw one with a king bed, and those are always a special order. You have to realize most of the toters out there were built for racers to go to the track in, and often as not are not really slept in on a regular basis. More of a crew lounge and to be "legal" as an RV to skirt the d.o.t..

I was reading up on legal length. I found that most states have a 65' overall length listed, but I also found a federal guideline that said as long as the trailer was of legal length (48' or grandfathered 53') that the states could not limit the overall length of the combination based on the length of the tractor. Which makes perfect sense as any semi on the road with a 53' trailer is way over 65'. Even a 48' trailer, add 5' for the gap to the tractor, leaves only 12' more for the sleeper and the cab/hood to end up at 65'. Any truck with a sleeper is well over 12 from the front bumper to the back of the cab. Any more current info out there guys?

I was also doing some measurements and calculations on my GMC 6500 cab/chassis over the weekend. I have a 40' gooseneck trailer, and the pin is back about 6". It is a standard cab that measures 9' from the front bumper to the back of the cab. Add 5' gap between the trailer and box. That leave me 11.5' for a box and still be under 65'. But am not really sure it has to be under 65'. I would love to find the accurate answer to that question as well.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote