Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #103
Kenn

Default epoxy/wood vs aluminum/????

Dave great minds do think alike LOL. I spent many hours trying to find a product to paint the inside of the aluminum tank. Some concerns I had were not just the tank walls but the aluminum adapter I made. If I coated the adapter with epoxy, it would add enough thickness that the rubber seal would not fit as it should. If I machined the adapter to make room for the epoxy, it would make for a very thin (read weak) part. I checked into pour-in type products and found most are for steel and very little information on aluminum. I am not to worried about water getting to the wood. I will be able to get to all side and the bottom of the tank after the coach is done. If an aluminum tank developed a leak it would have to be removed to make a repair but the wooden tank could at least be glassed over on the outside to get me home. I have used epoxy with good results on many project including boats (gas tanks & and many other areas), race cars body, wings and lots of parts. Yesterday I cut all of the plywood and today I will start on the epoxy. I plan to lay all of the sheets flat and roll and brush the epoxy on before I glue it all together. When the tank is glued together I will do the outside. I really wanted to make it out of aluminum. At some point I need to move on and being the only decision maker I thought the wood/epoxy made the most sence. I will post pictures as the tank develops. Thanks for your thoughts, I do appreciate them. Kenn
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote