View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
Dragonslayer140

Currently I am leaning toward 11ga for studs and general framing, I have not made a decision on the corner posts yet, but am thinking of building a L shaped composite post from 3 studs, that way the corner is not thicker than the rest of the wall. I plan to frame my interior walls with steel tubing also so they become an integral part of the overall box assembly. The biggest concern for me on the construction is to eliminate as much moisture as possible from the vehicle. Steel studs will transmit the cold through the wall and create condensation, i will be adding a thin layer of rigid insulation board over the entire wall before i sheet the inside. I plan on using 7/16 osb or 1/2" exterior grade sheathing over that. The exterior rated glue in these products creates a moisture barrier if all the panel seams and penetrations are sealed. Same construction for roof and floor, except thicker T&G ply for the floor. All walls and ceiling cavities will be filled with expanding foam insulation after all electrical conduits and piping is installed. Underside of the floor will be 26ga galvanized sheet metal, and I am trying to decide if it will be undercoated or perhaps spray on bedliner material. outer siding i am not sure on yet, but probably .060 aluminum with VHB tape to insulate it against the steel studs and prevent electrolysis. Heating will be provided by a diesel fired boiler with radiant floor heat, and a basement heat pump for cooling. moisture buildup will be greatly reduced by using a air to air heat exchanger. I want to keep as much off the top of the truck as possible as I am already going to be plenty tall. I still have some serious design challenges to squeeze what I want into the rig, but as what I want is not mainstream I will not find a rig from one of the standard builders that meets my needs.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote