Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #56
Dragonslayer140

Kenn,
I am anxious to see how the FRP works out for you. It has been in the back of my mind as a skin for my future build. I have been favouring skinning with aluminum, but am thinking it may not be as user freindly to deal with as FRP for a home builder. I have concerns with both methods of construction; Aluminum has problems with expansion and excessive conductivity of heat/cold into the metal framing potentialy leaving condensation within the wall cavity. Age old question of screws or the super sticky tape to fasten it. I like the seamless look of the FRP, and as long as you keep the water out it should last a good long time, however should you get some type of damage, not sure how you would make a decent looking repair? Then there is the cost of getting a full motorhome sized sheet shipped to your location (I will be looking at a 32'-36' length). My question to you is how do you plan to fasten it to your framing? and what are you going to do for the corners and roof to wall joint? have you decided on a roofing material yet? would love to get a look at your project when you get to that stage...I could even hold the camera while you muscle one of those side sheets into place..lol Keep up the good work and updates

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote