View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #17
Highway OPie

Default More on the L-10

Dick:

Well, Dragonslayer is obviously the expert here, and we are fortunate to have someone of his experience to tell us "how it really is." His comment about mountain passes with the L-10 is exactly what I found other driver's comments to be.

Dick, for your application as a motorhome, it sounds like the L-10 is perfect for you; enough torque and hp to get the job done along with a good reputation for fuel mileage and low cost of repair parts. You're a winner all around! And, the 378 Pete is a real classic. Also, although you have not said, all the titling hassle is also done, so no problem getting it registered as an RV.

Road applications are local delivery, like Dragonslayer mentioned, plus other "vocational" uses such as cement mixers, stakes, and misc. construction uses. Highway applications are for tooling down the Interstates hour after hour and mile after mile. Because these class 7 and 8 trucks are designed and built for specific uses, proper gearing, hp, and other equipment can vary greatly.

My Pete runs 1300 RPM at 60 mph, which is the speed I drive (I'm never in a hurry, plus that's the speed limit in Michigan). On the Interstae I'm getting almost 12 mpg. The engine is 550 hp, but is not "working" at all, so I am very happy with the total setup. In the future I might switch the rear end from a 3.55 to a 3.36, which will increase the fuel mileage to maybe 13 to 14 mpg. Although my "camper box" itself is far from complete, mu unit only weighs 21,600 pounds. Pretty light, actually. This thing outta last long after I am dead and gone!

You have found a beautiful rig there, Dick. Thanks for the pics. Looks like its all ready to hit the road!

You still might consider taking the rig to a local cummins or Peterbilt dealer to have them "check it out" before you buy.

Hope all works out. This has been a great thread!

Dave, good luck on your project: Keep it classic and old school!

Speed
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote