View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Highway OPie

Default More on Mike's find . . .

First of all, thanks #90 for your nice comments! My daughters are all grown, so whe someone asks me for a picture of my family, I pull out a shot of my wife sitting in my 379. Ha!

Here's what I learned about Cummins L-10 engines that Mike asked about: Mid-displacement, mid-horsepower applications, 300-350 hp used in buses, dump trucks, transit mixers, etc. Generally used in road applications, not highway applications, so check the gearing with the EF 10 speed to make sure its got the highway cruising speeds you need. It is a mechanical engine, and was produced from 1982 until 1998 when it was replaced by the ISL seriers. It comes with or without a turbo, known for its great fuel mileage and reliability. Maybe a bit light on high end torque, so don't use less than a ten speed with it. Cummins parts are cheaper than Cat parts, but then again, gold is cheaper than Cat parts, too! Except that the fuel pump can be sometimes problematic, it is considered a "good" engine.

Hope this helps.

Curious, what model Pete is the engine installed in, and what was the application before the conversion. Any pics?

Mike, keep us posted!
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote