Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #38
#90-GTSC

Kenn ... I too had been thinking about roll-up doors. There is a fire station across from work and often there is a support truck (3/4 ton Chevy) with roll-up doors on the side. They look nice and are functional. But won't you lose some headroom in the compartment?

I had a friend who owned a series of Prevost motor coaches (Liberty Coach in North Chicago did the conversions) who was kind of enough to bring the Prevost when we went to the races in Indianapolis and Michigan. First class travel. The big buses have compartment doors which swing up and don't require much side room to open, but of course have a somewhat (as I recall) complicated mechanism to accomplish that. One of the things about the Prevost that I like was that when you locked the door to the coach, all the compartments locked too. When you unlocked the coach, all the compartments also unlocked. So you didn't have to run around the coach and manually locked the doors.

Can you give us an idea of the general cost of the Gortite doors? Of a typical lower compartment, what do you think the cost will be. Naturall alumiinum looks nice!

I agree with Mr. Dragonslayer ... a Peterbilt 379 is the ONLY way to go. If I'm going to spend this kind of money and this much time putting something together ... I want it to be the meanest, baddest looking rig in campground, in the race track paddock, or in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

Dick
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote