Thread: Frame Welding
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #26
Kenn

Default Next step

I have reached a point that the mechanical repairs and up-grades to the truck are done. I think. I am now doing the fabrication of the lower halve of the coach. Because of my 10' high shop door, I am building in two main parts. From the floor down and from the floor up. I am mounting the box frames on top of the truck frames with oak between them. I need to fine toon the wood with a power plane. I am using 4 ubolts on each side and they are 7/8" grade 8. I made the plates that go under the frame out of 2" chanel iron and then welded in 1 1/4" x 1/4" flat bar to beef them up. I bolted what I think are called fish plates to the truck frame and then welded stops to the box frames (4" chanel) to prevent the box from moving forward in a hard braking event. I made a water level so I could put pads on the floor and have the truck level in the shop. My floor drops more than 2" in 20'. The ubolts are called square but have a small radius so I welded 1/2" blocks to the frames and then ground a notch for the ubolts and they look like the bolts make better contact. I also welded 1/4" x 1 1/2" pieces between the flanges on the chanel to keep it from crushing. It feels good to be moving forward even if it is at a sloooooow pace. I will try to post pics.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000004.jpg   IM000008.jpg   IM000025.jpg   IM000030.jpg  
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote