View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Highway OPie

Default Super Sleeper

Hello 377 Pete and all others:

Here in Grand Rapids, MI were are in a spell of very pleasant weather after some mid-90's and high humidity since early July. Nice weather to get back to work on my truck conversion project.

Scheduled to begin next week, the actual construction of the super sleeper will begin after many hours of thought and design. My 379 currently has a standard 63" sleeper, with about 24" between the rear of the sleeper and the front of the 24' Morgan box. My fabricator friend commented that we should "fill" this 24" in and make it living space.

I now have two doner sleepers which will be joined together; a 63" and a 73", cut so they will total 83". The super bunk with then go out for paint. When ready, the old 63" bunk will be unbolted and lifted off, and the 83" bunk will be set in its place. New frame mounts will be fabricated, and two new accordian rubber gaskets will complete the outside construction. The new living space will be continuous from the windshield of the tractor to the rear of the camper box, about 23'.

The only outside work needed, in addition to the painting, will be the welding of the main frame for the sleeper for the extension of the aluminum siderails.

Nest week, when I start "cuttin' metal and drilling hucks" I'll start posting some pictures as the project progresses.
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote