View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #275
Ran D. St. Clair

Default Fire Safety

Reading on the various forums I came upon this web site and decided to upgrade my fire safety systems:

Fire and Life Safety

In my case I had a single fairly large dry powder extinguisher near the door at the back of my truck. Since that is the only exit from the living quarters, if there were a fire in that area I wouldn’t be able to get to the extinguisher to put it out, or even exit the truck. I also learned that dry powder extinguishers are popular because they can be used on all types of fires, but they are not very effective against simple combustibles. For example, in the case of a tire fire, my extinguisher would do next to nothing. I decided to buy the RV Fire Safety Kit for $150 on this web page.

Fire Safety Products

I now have a large “ColdFire” extinguisher at the back of the living quarters. I also have a smaller FireAde2000 at the front of the living quarters, and another in the cab of the truck. The 3rd FireAde2000 I put in my car.

They have some interesting automatic systems for mounting in the engine compartment or generator or propane compartments, but they are rather expensive so I didn’t go there.

If nothing else I recommend reading the Fire Safety Articles here:

Fire Safety Articles By Mac McCoy

They are a short easy read and make logical sense.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote