View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Kenn

I moved to Oregon from California three years ago and I don't miss the Calif. DMV at all. I have registered several home built trailers and boats in Calif. and it seems as if the DMV employes must be reading from different books. When I got to Oregon I registered 8 vehicles within a few weeks and found that DMV employes are helpful and seemed to understand the rules. The Oregon DMV definition of a motor home is as follows "A vehicle that has been designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered to provide facilities for human habitation, ie., permenent sleeping and cooking facilities. This includes permenently mounted campers on pickup trucks or other truck frames." That was stright from their web page and simple. When I bought my Peterbilt the seller and I went to the DMV in Dallas Or. I took pictures of my truck and of a motor home built on a truck so they would understand what I was doing. I was not able to regerster it as a motor home. I told the DMV guy what I planed to do as far as building my own motor home and he said I did'nt need to pay any fees until it was a motor home. I asked how I could drive it during the 12 to 18 month building time and was told that I need to get a trip permit $43.00 good for 10 days. He also date stamped the title and signed it saying that I would not need to pay non operational or late fees. Oregon charges motor home fees by the foot. 6-14' $54.00 15' $163.50 20' $201.00 25' $238.50 30' $276.00 35' $313.50 40' $351 and 45' $388.50 45' is the max length allowed. They have fees for any length but you get the idea. Also the registration is good for two years. I asked if an air matress in the over cab sleeping area was good and he smiled and said yes. I asked about the cooking and he said not a camp stove but a drop in two burner propane cooktop was good to go. I have been doing mechanical repairs and upgrades for five months and next week I will go back to DMV for a trip permit so I can drive the truck to a shop for an overhead service. I hope that I won't need another trip permit before I finish the build. As far as a drivers license to operate my truck a CDL is required until it is a motor home even with the 5th wheel and front drive axle removed. This point is importaint to me because I lost my CDL 18 years ago when I started taking insulin for my diabetes. I look forward to the day I can drive it as a motorhome. I hope this helps in you search for state requirements.
Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote