View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
hot rod

Ohio title requirements.

Currently in Ohio, you no longer have to take the vehicle to the State Patrol barracks for an inspection prior to a title change to a motor home. Now there is a form you have to get from the county courthouse title bureau called a "affidavit conversion to motor home" and fill it out and have it notarized and returned to the courthouse. The form they gave me is "BMV 3804 5/86". I would be glad to post a copy if somebody can tell me how to get a pic to upload into the thread. At that point they will issue you a new title as a motorhome. There is a $15 fee for printing the new title and you are in business. Go to the deputy registrar with your new title and you can purchase motor home license plates.

Our Ohio form asks for 4 specific things to qualify as a motor home:
1. Facilities for cold storage of food: (specify)
ice box or refrigerator
2. Facilities for cooking of food: (specify)
range top or oven
3. Facilities for consumption of food:
table with seating
4. Facilities for sleeping
bed

They are very clear "that the equipment necessary to qualify such motor vehicle to be titled and registered as a motor home has been permanently installed and attached to the motor vehicle". That means a cooler, bbq grill, and sleeping bag do not qualify. It is an old form (1986) and has not been updated, so I am not sure if you can skate with a microwave "oven" or if you need a real built in deal. I am planning on a gas range top just to be sure.

There is also another category of licensing here in Ohio called "heavy duty non-commercial". Basically they assume here that any truck of one ton or larger is commercial and will automatically issue you a commercial plate unless you claim otherwise. So your dually pickup that you tote your boat or camper or racecar with is assumed to be commercial. By asking for the "heavy duty non-commercial" plate you can pay $84.50 for your plate (way more than the $49.50 for a 1/2 ton, but way better than the price of a commercial plate). The catch is you need to sign a form that the truck is only used for non-commercial purposes, so if they catch you with you company's bulldozer on the trailer or the like you will be in hot water, so use care with that option. I have been plating my dually that way for years with no problems. Also, when I brought my GMC 6500 chassis home from out of state they automatically wanted to issue me commercial plates to the tune of around $400+ a year, but since I only had a cab/chassis and no commercial bed, box or fifth wheel I was able to convince them to issue me a heavy duty non-commercial plate for that truck as well. When conversion is completed I can go back and apply for a motor home title and plate. If your truck you are converting is starting life as a commercial box truck or semi tractor, you may be stuck with a commercial plate until you can complete the requirements to title as a motorhome. Probably depends on the mood of the BMV clerk that day. The motorhome is cheaper at $49.50. They also list a "house vehicle", but my impression this is a camping trailer and not a truck.

Here are the licensing prices:
ODPS | BMV | Fees for Services

Here is a link to the form for license plates for a motor home:
http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv5712.pdf

I cannot find the change of title form online, but I have a hard copy and I can post it if somebody tells me how.

Here in Ohio the D.O.T. troopers are numerous and active. They are the PUCO (Public Utilities Commision of Ohio) cars. They have their own division, fleet of cars, and operate the scalehouses. They do stops at the scales, rest areas, and random roadside stops if they think you are commercial. They are not known for leniency, and are known for writing big fines for violations. In the past however they are known more for targeting semis, and do not have a reputation for hassling "regegade" type rigs or race cars as is happening in some states. I have been hauling a 40' gooseneck trailer for a decade and never had a problem and do not stop at scales, but that may or may not be luck. This may be changing, as Ohio is supposed to begin enforcement on lighter vehicles as low as 10000# gvw, which may change all that. I will post the article when I find it.

That's about it for Ohio, who's next?
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote