View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
blizzardND

I was going to mention...
once you buy a good used truck, you now own a good used truck, if you decide after you have cut holes for windows and invested in those windows, your reciepts start to add up and you run out of money or interest in the project, you are pregnent, to sell you will suffer a huge loss, and even at that, you may be a happy man seeing that money pit roll away from your driveway.

these things are big, projects, perhaps smaller in size but really bigger and more complicated than most of those "home buy and flip programs" on tv.

Folks understand carpet, sheetrock and landscaping. Try to get help with a AC / DC electrical panel wired to a generator while having the ability to plug into shore power or run off 4 golfkart batteries.
you need a set of buddies just as crazy as you and me to understand why you are doing this, when you can just by that RV in the newspaper for 50 cents on the dollar from its 2008 prices.

Your budget will suffer just purchasing the truck, licencing and painting that big yellow box and truck.

Before you buy. Price it all out. You have to have a budget to keep you on track,

Search this site, read my build, read Rad St.Clairs project. Both are small truck builds with really high price tags. I don't even have a stove or conventional oven. I didn't by a 1000 dollar rv fridge, I cut a slug of corners and bought most stuff used or at cost or on sale. You buy retail, you pay sales tax on every nail, screw board or chunk of steel tubing.

By a used unit on RJ then re-carpet, pop a new shower and stool when the budget allows, but use your cash for diesel fuel, enjoy it, take the family out on weekends, tailgate at the college football game, enjoy the investment rather than worry about every being able to finish it.

blizz