View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
dgorila1

Question UHaul vs. Penske trucks for build

I was thinking of starting with a straight van for my first build and for weekend camping until I can move up to a full time rig when I retire (years from now). I looked at UHaul and the 26ft vans, 1989 model year, all have approx 200,000 miles and are all priced at $3395.
I looked at the Penske had to offer and they have newer trucks (2005's on average) but the mileage tend to be in the upper 200's to over 300k. They want significantly more money too (>$15,000 - $25,000) for their trucks.
Can those who have had experience with these trucks give the pros and cons of buying a UHaul vs. a Penske truck. That's quite a bit of cost difference for a truck with the approx the same mileage. I'm leaning towards the UHauls based on the lower price and cab-over box where a bed could be built. My thought is the significant cost savings could be used to have any maintenance performed to "refresh" the truck (brakes, etc).
Also, what is the average lifespan, mileage wise, of the diesel engines these trucks run? Is 200,000 miles towards the end of their life or should they last longer with regular maintenance?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote