View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
hot rod

Once agian, thanks for all the comments. One theme seems to be "don't do it!" from the experienced builders. Sorry guys, guess I've got to make that mistake for myself just like the rest of you. I did some conversion work in my gooseneck trailer for living quarters so I've got some inkling what I'm getting into, and done enough welding and fab work to have confidence in building the structure. As to budget, I did take your advice and do a search on racingjunk.com and elsewhere, and it seems more like $40-50,000 to get into something that isn't 15 years old or a cobbled up piece of junk. And I already have a smoking deal on the 2003 6500 topkick chassis for $4800 sitting in my shop, and a banked budget of $15000 to get the bulk of it done. However I don't have the $50,000 to buy something decent used and don't want to finance anything. So that and my liking a challenge means I am going to build.

I do realize my time estimates are probably off by half, and may be a little low on the budget, but I don't need the newest bells and whistles, can wait on luxuries like the a/c and generator for now, and plan on relying heavily on a few trips to Elkhart for surplus. My main goal for a start is to get the structure and mechanicals done and functional and the exterior done and presentable for towing my trailer. Then tinker with getting the interior finished up as time allows. I can do all welding, electrical, plumbing and paint. I may need help from a carpenter buddy on the finish work, trim is not my strong suit. I think the only thing I am going to have to send out is driveshaft work.

I'll get some pics going and keep you all posted on progress.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote