Thread: Roof Material
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
mmmc101

I decided to visit as many RV repair centers that were reasonably close to obtain their input. I posed the same question to all of them: If you were building your own RV which roof material would you use,rubber or alum? ( I did not mention fiberglass as I break out everytime I work with it)

Of the five places I visited, three said alum,two rubber. Most thought the alum would be more durable and less likely to be damaged by tree limbs. Two of the locations were in the process of of replacing rubber roofs on RV's.One had lost it's bond to the roof and was floping in the breeze,the other had a 3' rip from a tree limb ( new RV). One site said they had installed a rubber roof on top of an alum one at the custmer's request. They didn't know why since the roof was not leaking.(customer is always right)
Installation is pretty much the same.The surface needs to be clean,dry and smooth. Most warned not to use treated plywood or plwood sheathing.Both still contain moisture or chemicals that could prevent a good bonding. They reccomended kiln dryed plywood with one side sanded.(no knots or imperfections)
Cost for alum was only slightly higher than rubber.For my application 102" X 144" the alum is just over $500 (.040).The rubber was $386 for 63 mil.
The alum can be obtained in .024 much cheaper but I think thats to thin.
Given all the input I think I will use alum for my application since I am familiar with that and I have never worked with the rubber before.

Thanks everyone for your input! I learn something new everyday.
MMM
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote