Thread: HDT suspensions
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Bob86ZZ4

I thought most of the trucks now have air bag rear suspensions. I think the steel leaf springs on the drives are mostly gone aren't they? There are several advantages to the air bags. When you load the rear axles with a heavy load it's very easy to adjust the height by adding air. You can also dump the air to drop the back down like when you need to back under a trailer. My rear axle is air ride and it automatically levels the rig. So when I fill up my water and hitch a heavy trailer it still rides at the exact same height. I rarely dump the bags but have a couple times when trying to make sure the tail of my trailer doesn't scrape coming out of a driveway or something. I don't think you'd get a ton of lift by airing the bags way up tho. I've seen Powerhouse Coach offers a option of a high lift air bag for manuvering over stuff. They want several thousand for it tho. What I do when loading the race car is use the leveling jacks on my coach and lift the back of the coach as high as I can with those, leaving the front jacks retracted for max angle. That works pretty good for me. My jacks I can lift the back wheels off the ground with.