View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Bob86ZZ4

Another note about how my coach was built. The truck chassis has the standard 3 12v truck batteries to start the engine and the generator. The coach has 2 12v deep cycle batteries to run all the house needs. Now, when those run down I can start the generator to charge them since the generator starts from the chassis batteries. But, the generator doesn't "actually" charge those 2 house batteries. There is an Iota charger/converter mounted in that storage bay. So, when the generator starts producing 120 volts a/c the charger kicks in and charges up those house batteries. There is also a 3 position battery round switch there. One position connects the house batteries to the house 12v wiring. One position connects the 3 chassis batteries to the house wiring. The middle position connects all 5 batteries together. So, if you're running the generator and you switch to the middle so all 5 batts are linked then that Iota charger charges them all. Or if you're on shore power, same thing. Or if the truck engine is running it'll charge all 5, since the truck engine alternator is charging the chassis batts any time the engine is running. What I like to do is set that switch for just the 2 house batteries when I'm shut down. That makes those two do some work and get some excercise. Then when they're low I either plug in or start the generator. By setting the switch tying them all together it won't use the house batts to start the motor, the wiring from that switch is just too small to allow enough amps to flow that way. I mostly use that switch so that when running down the road the engine will charge the house batts without turning on the generator. It took me awhile to figure out the best way to use that switch but I think it works pretty good for me this way. I think it's good to give all your batteries some excercise so doing it this way allows that. Often when I'm plugged in at a park I'll just unplug my Iota charger so the house batteries get some good use. Then when they're low I just plug the charger in and fill them up. I have a plug in thing to stick in the cigarette lighter in the coach to tell me what the house battery voltage is. I've also noticed that when the house batteries get kind of low the toilet valve thing stays open at the end of the flush. Silly thing but that's what I've noticed.