View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Randy in Va

I will get specific with the help I need. Goal is powerful and safe vehicle to tow my 40 foot Alfa Toyhouse.

I have been all over the place, from the advertised but not available 350 Heavy Duty (advertised at pull ratings of 19,200 but not really available to the public) to MDT's to converted Class 8's.

I like the idea of pulling with a Class 8 and sent for the information from the no 1 guy who does Volvo conversions.

My confusion comes from several areas. First is apparantly the need for the tractor to be registered as a RV or Motorhome in my state to make insurance a possibility for someone not making their living with the tractor.

To do this, some have put minimal furnishings in the extended cabs and registered them successfully in some states. This would end up having a RV pulling a RV which may or may not be legal in my state.

I don't understand why the fight to drop one of the tandem axles rather than buy a single axle tractor. Are we fighting to have the rated axle fall below some number?

Why wouldn't it be better to get a daycab a little money and add the largest sleeper I could find and convert that as the RV portion. Are we required to be able to get into the RV section from the cab?

Any help will be appreciated.