View Single Post
Old 08-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
cjc

You asked a question about tiling the floor in your motorhome. I did the bathroom area in mine almost 3 years and 60,000 miles ago and haven't had a problem because I did it myself and obviously did it correctly. I never had a tile pop nor did I have any problems with the grout. The subflooring in my Showhauler is 3/4" plywood. On top of that I laid down a backer board with thinset underneath and screwed down every 4"o.c. I guess you could use durock or another type cement board, but I used the Hardie backerboard because it's neater to work with and it comes in a 1/4" thickness that you can use on the floor. Most cement backerboard is 1/2" thick and much heavier than the stuff made by Hardie. I also used a porcelain tile because it's super hard and dense, but I'm sure that marble, granite or any other type tile would hold up just as well so long as you prepare your subsurface correctly. All the materials that I used were purchased and are always easily available at Home Depot or Lowes, nothing fancy. I used a modified grout and thinset with the appropriately notched trowel that was specified for the tile. Don't worry about doing the job, it's not really any diferent than doing a quality tile job in your house over plywood subflooring. Don't skip out on the backerboard or thinsetting it down on the plywood and use plenty of screws. One thing that you might want to do is lay the tile on a diagonal. You're dealing with a small space and if you put your tile on a diagonal, it will make the room appear larger. I didn't do this, but wish that I had.
cjc is offline   Reply With Quote