View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #244
Nomadic Wolfy

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for some time, and have to say this is one of my favorite websites.

Randy, I wanted to say that your doing a great job with this,

it's been a great read, and has even helped me turn otherwise skeptical people in favor of my own plans for such a conversion.

I finally am able to contribute to your project now, since my area of expertise is computers and such,

and so here is a link to a company that sells 12 VDC converters for laptops.

I use one with my HP,and it works great. No need to turn on the inverter and waste power.

http://www.shopbattery.net/power-car.html

Most wireless Keyboards, and mice have auto shutoff now, witch keeps them from burning up batteries like the old ones.

Even the cheep stuff.

I was very surprised that you did not include a Solar setup in your build.
I realize you have just a 14 foot box, but at the same time i know many full timers who love their solar setups.

WIth the limited space we have available on the roof of our boxes, the point is not to replace the generator, but to minimize it's use.

I have my parts picked out for a 720 watt system, and i should be getting out the door on it for less then 3k.

Even just on a average day, I should be able to recoup 140-160 Amp hours. (6.81x6x4= 163.44) That calculation is with just 4 hours
max sun. even if i could just average 120 amp hours a day, that would still decrease the use of a genny to once or twice a week.

http://www.dmsolar.com/solar-module-1.html

Back at the beginning you mentioned that a solar panel required more power to make then what it would produce over it's life time.

I dont know if that's true or not, but even if it is, once you have made the upfront cost expenditure to make solar panels,

and use them to make more of them, eventually the cost reduction would come into play, as you will produce new panels using just the energy gained of the panels you already produced. In 200 years time... I think you can extrapolate my logic.

Then again i don't know the specifics, I only know that it's appealing to me to be able to have a clean reliable source of power
If SHTF, or the price of fuel goes crazy. Not to mention if I'm short on cash, in normal times.

Over all man, I have to say thank-you! This thread, and your diligent work is a inspiration,

and it enables me to open up my future plans in conversation with my family, and friends with out them looking at me as if i had just beamed down from a mother ship!

PARKING...

In time you will develop a instinct on where to park, and such.

Any place where other vehicles are whizzing by will quickly get on your nerves. I look for the back corner or side lots of 24 hour stores, or commercial zones.

Quite country lanes are where i get hassled the most, it always seems to me that when i park near a road way, it's just a invitation for the Law to come roust ya. Even if it's out of the way.
I had one Deputy tell me, "Hey ya know this is our hang out here, if you park here we're going to be messing with ya a bunch,
so pick another place." I was not laughing at the time, just a lot of yes sirs, okay sir, will do roger wilco.

I thought it was funny later though, they didn't even care i was Van dwelling they just wanted me out of their spot!

Store parking lots are the best IMHO, and your Box truck should fit right in!

Even a medium sized town has several big box stores open 24/7... just rotate your stays.

Again thanks a ton for all the work, and pics. I know for a fact i wont be making some of the same mistakes that you did,
because I have had the privilege of this information.

Alas, I will probably make my own mistakes! haha.

~Nomadic Wolfy~
Nomadic Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote