View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #6
youngwerth

Thanks for everyone's advice. After reading here and talking to some industry folks I know that have been driving these things for awhile, I decided that I definetly wanted a HDT. It came down to have something new built on a used to more used tractor for $120K to $90K or buy something close to what we were looking for now and get on the road on 7/10 for a planned 45-day road trip this summer. The latter choice saves us $8K plus in travel costs over that time.

I choose the used route and paid $67K for an '02 Trendsetter with a 10' garage with lift and 14' living quarters (plus the bunk) on a '94 FL120 with a Detroit 60 and 9 speed. It is optioned out just about how I would do it if it was new, mostly the functional options (upgraded appliances, diamond plate flooring, etc). Truck had a full Freightliner service before it was converted at 340K miles. It has only gone 20K miles since being converted. He claims it is perfect (and the pictures seem to back that up), enoguh so that he's willing to hold back a chunk of the price in escrow to cover any repairs needed, mechanical or cosmetic, to the conversion or the tractor in the first 45 days.

I think it's a good fit for us and we'll probably upgrade in a year or two but this should help us figure out what we really need and we (hopefully) won't have to take too much of a bath on it when we sell it.
youngwerth is offline   Reply With Quote