View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
butlermotorcoaches

I believe the "too much stress on the frame" that they are referring to is due to lack of lateral strength in both the truck frame and the conversion frame. Truck frames have a great deal of lineal strength but lack in lateral strength. Diesel pushers are able to do it because of the way their basements are constructed. If you look at a diesel pusher's frame/basement assembly you can see what I'm talking about. They are built very similiar to how a unibody car is constructed. Most conversions are constructed without a very stout basement so the opposing slides would load the basement beyond it's lateral limits. I do believe Kingsley offers opposing sildes.

The new truck I am building for myself will have opposing slides for many of the very same reasons as photoguy states. I want the big open feeling. Mine is also going to be on a KW T2000 condo truck so the whole front will be open. In order to do this the basement as well as the roof will be reinforced a little more. One of the downsides to opposing slides is that the walkway will be narrower than on a single wall slide unit. This is something I am willing to sacrafice.

Randy
butlermotorcoaches is offline   Reply With Quote