View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Dave B

BravestDog, I did some research on the California DMV at www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs. I found the definition for commercial vehicle under section 15210. Section 15210(b)(2)states that a recreational vehicle as defined by section 18010 of the California Health and Safety Code is not a commercial vehicle. So, I went over to the Health and Safety Code. Section 18010(a)states it must be built on a single chassis,self propelled,truck-mounted or towable without a permit. There are two square feet tests it must pass: (a) less than 320 square feet of living room area and (b) 400 square feet or less of gross area measured at maximum horizontal projections. Most truck conversions I've seen are a maximum width of 102 inches or 8.5 feet; and the length of the average truck conversion I see is 45 feet(bumper to bumper). Most class 8 truck cabs are at least 10 feet(120 bbc). We could add a 35 foot conversion to that and still be at 45 feet. We would pass the 400 gross square foot test at 382.5 square feet(45 X 8.5). We should be able to pass the 320 square foot test since the 35 foot truck-mounted conversion using exterior dimensions measures 297.5 square feet(35 X 8.5). The cab shouldn't be counted since it was there before the conversion was mounted. Cabover bunks might count since they are part of the conversion. Slides shouldn't count since no one(I hope)drives down the road with them out. The bottom line is you probably could drive a forty five foot truck conversion legally in California without a commercial license. I hope this doesn't bore you; I have 31 years with the U.S. government, and boring is what government workers do best!
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote