View Single Post
Old 04-19-2003, 06:59 PM   #16
Mike E

Jack,

Yes, that was what I meant, chopping the frame right away if I did it myself. However, from what Larry says, if I wait for the tires to wear out, I'll be waiting a long time. While I was an OTR I had a few flats but I was loaded to 80,000# and maybe that just doesn't happen when using it as an RV. BTW, converting to a single doesn't save any money here in California since it is still considered a commercial vehicle unless it is converted to a motorhome and the weight tax is based on whatever its original GVWR was, which would be 80,000+ and cost about $1700 extra. To make matters worse, after Larry warned me that I would probably have only 30 days to do the conversion and register the truck, I checked and found that in California I only have 20 days. For that reason I may check the law in every state and buy the truck in a state in which I can register it as a non-commercial vehicle so I can gain a little bit of time to do the conversion. Since my parents live in Florida and I know that Bill (warpath) originally registered his FLD that way in Florida so he could drive it home, I may be able to do the same but I'd like to find out how much a non-commercial registration there actually costs.

Larry,

I have been checking the laws carefully here in California and it appears that on paper, as long as you are registering as a motorhome it doesn't matter if you have a single or tandem axle. However, despite that, in practice it may be more difficult to convince a skeptical DMV official to actually register a tandem as a motorhome when they don't even want to register singles.
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote