View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Walt

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad to be here. I don't really know too much about the suspension system, actually; I bought the truck used and it came with no information whatsoever. I can tell you a few things, though. There are two air bags (one for each wheel in the rear), and there is a single height adjustment bar located between them. I do not know the weight of the unit; it's a Ford F800 chassis with a 24' box, with an overall vehicle length of about 32'. As far as the load goes, I'm sure it's much, much less than the truck was designed to carry -- I've converted it into a motorhome, so the only weight would be that of the conversion, people, bags, etc. The only thing I tow is my minivan, which I tow with a tow bar four-wheels down, so there is essentially no weight from the van on the suspension.

As far as performance goes, the problem is that the ride is very rough. The front suspension consists of leaf springs and shocks, and I'd say it rides better than the air ride in the back (but still not smooth by any means). It feels to me as though the rear suspension is set up to carry a very heavy load, which it just does not have at present.

Hopefully this information is at least somewhat helpful, and someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Walter
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote