View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #13
V8Rail

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Skies:
One question from this site specifically addresses truck vs. bus suspension:
61. What's the difference between bus and motor homes suspensions?
An average motor home manufactured in the US is usually a heavy duty truck chassis, modified to run a little softer, with a large box (the RV) mounted on top of it. Technically, this is a suspension, but made from a modified truck chassis.
An over the road passenger coach (or commonly referred to as a tour coach) is designed to carry passengers 24/7. It's design facilitates easy maintenance. It also has a very soft airbag suspension, which is one of the softest rides we can make. A tour coach in particular MCI, is a monocoque configuration, meaning the chassis actually flexes with the suspension. This method has been a proven system for many, many years. Not to mention, this type of chassis is designed for thirty years and millions of miles. So obviously, a coach chassis would be a much better candidate to make into a motor home than a heavy truck.
I would write the same thing when I would sell bus conversions

but it is not realy the truth...

example:
yeah a coach is build to carry passengers and the driver has the worst seat right on or in front of the front axle. OTR truck is build for driver comfort.
Maintanance is easier with a HDT
the monocoque sentence is from an engineering standpoint wrong and just a joke...

my 2 cents :

when you are looking "caddy el dorado" style softsprung/softdampen ride, only staying on major highways and you do not tow a toybox then go with a bus conversion ...

when you are looking for "bmw" style firmer(and IMHO more comfortable) ride, like to run scenic byways, making lots of miles and/or you are towing a enclosed trailer go with a HDT conversion.
V8Rail is offline   Reply With Quote