View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #14

"Renegade will enclose the tanks and run heat to them"

Bob I find that very interesting. Last May I went to the Elkhart area and toured the 5 truck conversion companies. More than one time I asked questions about enclosing holding tanks and was asked "Why would you want to do that?"

At Renegade, during the tour, I was looking at the dump valve compartment and asked about enclosing the dump valve compartment. I was told that there was a law that did not allow them to enclose the holding tanks.

I commented that the regular motorhome builders, Class A, Class C enclosed and heated the compartments regularly. He said he wondered how they were able to do it. I took him outside and showed him my motorhome parked in their parking lot with its enclosed and heated tanks.

They must have changed since last May.

However, RV manufacturers, at least some of them, still do not understand that you must do more than just enclose the tanks and run a heater hose to that area. You need to insulate the compartment.

I just looked at the new Jayco Seneca, which is on the Chevy Kodiak C-5500 chassis. The compartment for the dump valves is enclosed and heated. But the enclosure is 1/8" plastic. No insulation. Are you going to run the furnace constantly? It gets cold when you are driving down the road. 110v heat pads only work if you are on shore power or run the generator.