View Single Post
Old 10-07-2006, 03:06 AM   #1
Nothinglikeadrive

Pardon the newbie questions.

I haven't had the opportunity to visit a HDT conversion shop yet. I intend to soon. I read on another thread the standard floor tubing is 2"x3" 11 ga tubular steel, 16" o.c. and for walls 1"x1-1/2" 16awg tubular steel, 16" o.c. where possible. Most of the tubing I see in photographs looks much much larger. Are most converters in fact using the above size tubing or something larger.

Also, are steel rivits and steel sheeting for exterior covering just a no-no?

I am operating with the following logic. If wrong please feel free to correct me.

At best I drive 5000 miles a year. Let's say I win a lottery them it's 6000.

Therefore, I don't see myself driving the 10's of 1000's of miles necessary to amass any substancial savings in fuel cost one would eventually accrew by building a conversion a few pounds lighter over a few pounds heavier. Ofcourse fractions of an inch in tubing size can amount to 1000's of pounds on the end conversion weight and over all vehicle performance. Performance especially noted going up and coming down steep highways.

However, with only the weight of a conversion or a factory 5ver to pull around seems to me this is still well under what the truck was designed to safely move and stop. And so when speaking fuel cost/milage, it is not going to be that greatly affected by a little more or less weight on the truck itself.

Now then, being a HDT newbie, if my arguement is full of it ---- I'd certainly appreciate an education. Thanks to all. I appreciate the opportunity to be among you.
Nothinglikeadrive is offline   Reply With Quote