View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #9
onezman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randy in Va:

My confusion comes from several areas. First is apparantly the need for the tractor to be registered as a RV or Motorhome in my state to make insurance a possibility for someone not making their living with the tractor.
-------------------

IMO, MOTORHOME registration is the only way to go. No CDL required, and no stopping at scales.

------------------

To do this, some have put minimal furnishings in the extended cabs and registered them successfully in some states. This would end up having a RV pulling a RV which may or may not be legal in my state.
-----------------

Specifically, you would be a motorhome towing a
5th wheel travel trailer. I have never heard of anyone having any problems. I had one customer who registered one of my conversions as a motorhome in Virginia Beach, VA.

---------------

I don't understand why the fight to drop one of the tandem axles rather than buy a single axle tractor. Are we fighting to have the rated axle fall below some number?

-------------------
First, there are very few single axle 610s in the marketplace. Watkins Motor Freight, (they pull doubles and triples) are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head who use 610 singles. Of course there are other manufacturers as well. When Watkins disposes of their single axle units, they all have high mileage. Second, all single axle tractors have 23K rear axles. They ride rougher than 18 to 20K axles.

---------------------
Why wouldn't it be better to get a daycab a little money and add the largest sleeper I could find and convert that as the RV portion. Are we required to be able to get into the RV section from the cab?

-----------------

Any good day cab would work. It's easy cut a hole in the back of the cab. A sleeper can then be attached with a large rubber boot. This provides access from the cab. Check out sleeper and installation prices before buying. Also find out how they will mate an air ride cab to the sleeper box.

Larry