View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 07:05 PM   #3

I agree with Bill. A trip to Indiana is not much if you are going to spend $150,000.

Last May I traveled from Colorado to Indiana to visit the factories. There are 5 in the general area of Elkhart. Here is a brief list of some of the things I observed.

Renegade by Kibbi. They are the only company using the FRP panel construction. You have to decide it you like that type of construction. They build a lot of different models so some customization is possible because one of their other models might already have that feature.

They leave their holding tanks open, like most of the truck converters, but when I asked if they could enclose them I was told that there was a law that said you cannot enclose holding tanks. I then said most RV motorhome builders enclose them and took the person to the parking lot and showed him my motorhomes enclosed tanks. Makes you wonder how much they look beyond just their product.

Haulmark. Built the most like conventional RV company's motorhomes. The walls are vacuum formed by an outside vendor. While this is used a lot in the RV industry is limits any changes. Haulmark was the least willing to do any custom work. "It would slow down the production line" So what you see is what you get with them. But they do have some good features like a cab bunk cutout and interesting way of mounting a flat screen tv at the cab over.

United Specialities Trendsetter, NRC Modifications, and Showhauler all build with a welded steel framework. All three seem willing to do custom work. These three definately are different from the Renegade and Haulmarks.

Bill has already mentioned the insulation issue. One thing I found is that RV manufacturers, including the truck conversion companies, are not real knowledgeable on insulation. I went to a total of 9 manufacturers on this trip and only at United Specialities did they know the difference between "bead board" and Styrofoam. A couple of times standing right next to a stack of "bead board" they called it Styrofoam until I educated them to about the difference. They had no knowledge of other foam insulation like polyiso or urthane. I would think that the manufacturers would do more research. But a lot of the RV type products are copies of other manufacturer's styles or construction.

One thing I did not like on the Showhauler is the moulded fiberglass rear cap. This is what you see on the usual RV based motorhomes. If you ever have a accident you are going to have to get that same cap, which will have to come from one source in Indiana. The other styles can probably be repaired in most places of the country by a good truck body service facility, even Renegades FRP.

Bill likes Showhauler and I agree that they would be on my short list of companies to consider.

There is also also another manufacturer who has posted some things lately. Butler in Wisconsin. I have not seen one of his rigs but his knowledge of insulation and some other things seems to be superior to what I found in Indiana. I might have to make a trip up to Wisconsin to check them out.

One impression that I did have after my visit was that none of the companies produced a bad product. I have seen conventional RV based motorhomes that I just wanted to walk away from and would not even consider. With a few adjustments any of the truck conversions would probably be a good product. Of course the truck conversion style of chassis is one of the main things that makes them better in my opinion than the usual Class A or diesel pusher motorhomes. Plus the availability of toterhomes or garage units if you want that style.

I hope these impressions give you some help.