View Single Post
Old 05-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #24
Vern396

Update

Saturday a week ago I went to the manufacturer's shop that I plan to have build my conversion box to discuss specefics and look at some photos of the shop's prior work. I was surprised when the manager offered to take me to see one of the conversions the shop had made. It was a toterhome, but gave me an overall idea of the quality of work the shop does. I have to say I was impressed. He indicated that he spent a week touring the conversion shops in Indiana when he first considered making conversions.

Spooner,

You indicated that your conversion box on your 379 would be 24' with 8'4" overhang from the centerline of the rear axle. I've been concerned with my box lenght given my trucks wheel base (230" tandem). If I drop the intermediate axle and use a 24' box, I will have a 10' overhang from the centerline of the rear axle. I was concerned that this may be too much and I would have to extend my frame to increase my wheel base. After talking to the manager of the local frame shop this weekend, to strech the frame to allow me to move the axle back is cost prohibitive to say the least. Adding frame rail behind the axle is not.

By chance, after I left the frame shop, I happened to see Warpath's prior Showhauler conversion which had the same 10' overhang. By the way, it is a sweet ride. A guy that lives in my town and races at the local track bought it from Beck's. He wanted to buy my current rig, but after I explained the cost of the license and insurance (assuming he could obtain insurance)and the fact that he had to have a CDL and physical card, I was able to convince him to buy a conversion. He saw all of the photos of the construction of Warpath's prior conversion on Showhauler's web page which sold him on the purchase. Hind sight being 20/20, I should have sold him mine and bought Warpath's ride myself.

Warpath,

Your prior conversion looked good in its new home (a double bay heated garage) with a 30' stacker trialer behind it. You can be assured it will receive TLC . I couldn't believe it when I walked in that garage and saw it. I instantly knew it was yours. It's kind of a celebrity in its own right you know.
Vern396 is offline   Reply With Quote