View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 07:49 AM   #8
fastlap

I had pretty much the same requirements as you , we race and we have hills and we have to get in tight areas !
I talked to cobra , wildside, Randy Butler and the guy that started wildside that is on his own now !
I visited the Indiana shops also !
I tested a short wildside with twin screw and found the tire noise to be the bad part + that was a short conversion and it did not have enough weight to plant its tires !
cobra was cool but very expensive and based on where they are made I assume that labor is the $$$ part there !
I took a volvo factory single axel with a 500+ hp series 60 and kept the integral sleeper and the stock wheelbase (which means all the parts on my build sheet still apply) and had NRC turn it into a very short motorhome conversion ,15.5 feet of box behind the sleeper,a king size bed above the sleeper! 7 feet of box and hitch behind the axel and a turning radius about the same as a 2 wheeldrive chevy short bed !
I get 10+ mpg towing under 24k the world is flat , there is no such thing as a hill (at least to this truck ) it will run 100 mph !
the conversion is 2 weeks from complete so I can not tell you if NRC is the way to go or not But I will say that they put up with me with a smile and were more than willing to accommodate my many strange and uncommon requests !
I pulled a tag trailer for 2 years with this truck (racing) before I decided it was the one and being the mechanicals are not being changed I think it will only get better with the conversion ! NRC was not cheap but (very nice to deal with so far ) , wildside and cobra were cool and would have been ok
Randy Butler was my first choice (too busy when I was ready) but Randy butler advised me on many things and this helped me make the decission that I did ! my advise , call Randy Butler and start there, you will not get any B.S. from him!
Good luck T.
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote