View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 02:28 PM   #1
Bill R

My 1999 Volvo 610 is now - Officially, a CALIFORNIA motorhome. It did take two hours. It appeared straightforward to me. A Volvo registered as a motorhome in another state comes into California. The two states have full faith and credit...(supposed to trust each other) , but the hang-up was that COMMERCIAL looking 5th wheel on the back of the motorhome. They see this on zillions of commercial trucks so they see TRUCK instead of motorhome. The clerk's supervisor was going to send me to the CHP, but I insisted on showing him the applicable code sections. His hang-up was that I could go out and pull a commercial trailer illegally. He was actually not accepting the Ca vehicle code definition of a motor home based on his prediction of criminal behavior. He called the CHP and was told that if I acted illegally (commercial activity), they would catch me at the scales. ( Ihave an 8" x 21" magnetic sign on each side that says PRIVATE RV NOT FOR HIRE on each side). Then it slowly became a motorhome. In his defense, he had to sign his name as decision maker, so he had to get his decision reinforced (good career move, I guess). The next step is the insurance, the vin# will say one thing and the DMV (state of Calif.) will be saying another......challenges are merely opportunities to prevail.

99 Volvo 610 Motorhome
2001 Alpha Gold 39'10"
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote