View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Mike Sokol

Does something like this make sense? http://www.dolphin-motorsports.com/v...ome/index.html

Also, while this truck has 580,000 miles on it, what's the chance of it being reliable for my 50,000 mile per year gig? How much would a complete in-chassis rebuid of the engine cost on something like this? Or should I get an '05 Volvo semi truck and have a 12' sleeper installed on it? Also, I see most of these toterhomes singled (pull one of the tandem axels), but is that more for RV registration than for comfort? Since I'm going to have a sponsor logo wrap done on the truck and trailer, it's certainly going to require a CDL to drive.

The CDL part doesn't bother me since at least one of the event trailer dealers offers a 2 week "executive CDL" course with lots of road time and safety classes. And my local community college's continuing education guys will customize a similar CDL class for me on their local truck driving range for $250 a day. I'm guessing that for $2,000 of track time I should get enough practical driving in two weeks to pass my CDL in MD, assuming I do the book studies on my own.

And yes, I understand the driver's log and associated paperwork for a commercial rig. I just don't think there's any way to register this thing as an RV once I put the logos on it and a 53' event trailer. But I'll take any comments on that subject.

JMS
Mike Sokol is offline   Reply With Quote