View Single Post
Old 06-01-2003, 12:28 AM   #2
jt3411

i'm building a 28 ft conversion with an overhead bunk. i still haven't found a truck yet. i'm trying to find a class 8 truck around 15.000 or less , min 375 horse, air ride, ac, alum rims, non itegral cab but not necessary tandeem axles NO SINGLE AXLE !!! i'm going to be pulling a 32 foot tag with 2 race cars and i know 2 people who have simular rigs with only 1 car and they CAN'T GET ON THE TURNPIKE BECAUSE THE REAR AXLE EXCEEDS 21000 LBS this could be a inconvience in your traveling tring to find alternate routes.plus another person i talked to who has 1 of each said that the tandeem rides and handles much better
i like the freightliners but don't ask a trucker theyed tell ya you gotta have a peterbuilt or kenworth
i'm going to get started on the box first
here is the list of tubing i ordered to start
the box the main rails are 5x3x1/4wall square tubing, the cross flooring is 3 inch I beam (5.7#) every 2 foot on center with 3x2x1/4wall
square tubing running down each side of that
the total floor width is 97 inches so that after the wood interior walls are applied it will be 8 ft wide the walls will be 2x2x.083 square tubing that will run outside of that which will make the outside 100". the walls will be 16"oc and run from the roof to the bottom of storage doors the roof will be 2x2
2'oc it might overkill but the truck will probally get the same mpg for the couple of extra pounds and i'll feel safe with my family onboard i think of it as cheap insurance.the steel ran me $1100 shop around the first place i called was $400 more I'll cut my windows and door in when i confirm my layout
i'll be glad to share my sources of materials as i go i'm also going to put a slide out in also i like the new glide room check out liftco.net the opening and floor with electric opener is available in different sizes for $100-1500 out of elkart, indiana also in elkart the rv capital of the world big savings on every thing you can imagine http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/
watch for photos and updates
jt3411 is offline   Reply With Quote