View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
Warpath

Hey Boys! Long time no chat.

To answer your question. Don't even think about a conversion weighing in at 28,000 lbs. or more and a automatic trannie with less than 330 hp & 900 ft/lbs of torque. And that is just going to get ya by. If your towing a trailer than you want to be in the 400 hp range. The Meritor or Eaton trannie's will help some what when climbing hills, but it is still going to suck when you get caught out on every uphill you hit.

Also, stay away from exhaust brakes on an automatic! They do not provide nearly enough braking for rigs over that 28,000 lb mark. You definitely want a 2 stage jake.

After all of my experience, I would say the Columbia with a 450 hp Mercedes and a 6 speed Allison would have been the perfect chassis for most applications less hauling a big stacker and than I would use the Meritor.

Don't go cheap on the truck, you'll be miserable and looking to sell in know time to do it right.

As far as the Gulf Stream goes I will at least say they are moving in the right direction by getting away from the Kodiak chassis. But again if your a racer looking to haul a trailer than don't even go there. The thing is just not going to hold up to the hard miles of towing.

People use to say "you can never have to much motor" and of course I would never listen.

Well take it from me they're right!