View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Walt

Hey Marc,

Yeah, that was me with the rear air ride issues. I ended up taking the truck into a shop for some other issues, and they had their spring shop take a look at it. They ended up adjusting the height on the air ride and replacing the shocks, which were very worn. I haven't even been in the back of the truck while it's been moving yet to tell if it's made any difference.

As far as the transmission goes -- I do realize there are only six actual gears with a splitter; I guess I should have said there are a total of 12 speeds, not gears. But anyway, I'm once again away from the truck right now, but as soon as I get back, I'll inspect that rear end and see if I can find the gear ratio. Forgive my ignorance, but how complicated of a job do you think it would be to swap those things out? I.E. how many hours at a shop, approximately? What should I expect to pay for a used gear set or rear housing?

Also, how would I determine if another gear set or rear housing would be compatible with my truck? For what it's worth, I know the current 2-speed rear end is a bit odd -- you're only supposed to switch from high to low gear with the truck stopped, so you really only have access to six speeds at any given time.

One more thing -- I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that transmission becoming a "friggin boat anchor" . . . could you explain? What would I gain by replacing the transmission? And what do you mean by "real trannys"?

Thanks so much,
Walter
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote