View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #6
Mike E

Thanks Larry,

Sorry about the confusion. I did mean an autoshift but many of the trucks with autoshift I have seen advertised said super 10 autoshift, giving me the erroneous impression that super 10 and autoshift were synonymous. While I like the control afforded by a clutch and the directly connected feel of a manual, during my time as an OTR driver I got tired of shifting. I actually grew to like the Mack 5sp I drove for a while just because I didn't have to shift so much. That's why I like the autoshift and the smartshift option (which is intended for autoshift equipped trucks) that gets the shifter off the floor and out of the way and thereby seems to enhance the good features of the autoshift without taking away manual control when you want it (which I suspect will be less and less as time goes by). I just don't know if smartshift can be added to an autoshift truck that wasn't originally equipped with it.

Here's a link to Smartshift from the Freightliner site: http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/co...ft/default.asp
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote