View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Bulvot

Peter-

Thanks. I am familiar with the laws on driving a Class 8 truck for private use, however trying to convince a law enforcement officer of the law on the side of the road could be a problem. Having a truck delivered to the conversion factory can't cost much more (maybe less) than doing it myself when you add the cost of flying or driving a second vehicle. I'll probably attempt to get it full registered as an RV while it's still at the conversion factory so I can drive it home myself. Hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it, though.

With respect to the cost. I was hoping for something a bit more specific. When I spoke to Kingsley two years ago I believe the price was in the ballpark of $300k including a brand new T2000. However, that unit would have also had a lift gate in the rear and a built in garage to handle my Class 3 truck. It would have been a unique job for them with a lot of engineering due to the weight dynamics. I have since decided I'm better off shortening the rig and hauling a trailer when and if I need to bring other vehicles along.

On the length, it has been a couple of years since I did my research, but I believe the limit on vehicle lengths only applies when you're not on federal highways. If I recall, you can have any length you want on a Federal highway. You run into trouble when you get onto state roads. However, if you're hauling another vehicle, you do run into a limit of 75 feet on Federal highways. Here is some info I found via Google (search for "length" on this page):

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/sw/overview/

Personally, I would be more concerned with getting hassled for blowing past weigh stations than for being over length. Unless you make a U-turn in main street and get yourself wedged, I don't think anyone's going to care too much. Physics and practicality limits us just fine.

On the wiring, I would be having them do conduits with reasonable access. I have a tendency to modify cabling and equipment as needed and I plan on keeping the rig for a long time so it wouldn't make sense to have cables in there that I can't easily change.

Oh yeah, on the length issue...the benefit to pulling a tag trailer that has a Class 3 in it is that if I'm in a tight spot (physically or legally) I can just unload the Class 3 and pull the trailer with it.

What'd I'd really be interested in are ball park #'s, opinions on who can do the conversion at the quality level I want and suggestions on the tire/axle setup for maximum traction. I'm very familiar with the dynamics of weight and traction, but have zero knowledge of the weight balance of a Class 8 conversion with a trailer.

Thanks.
Bulvot is offline   Reply With Quote